Translate

famine anachronisms
Artist: Famine
Title: Anachronisms
Genre: Electronic
Release Date: May 2013
Label: Dtrash Records

Album Review

So this is the master of sonic disaster returning to his prime discipline, delivering good old electronic mayhem. This collection is going by the name 'anachronisms', which is started by a thing called 'tabletcrasher'. I'm not sure I want to know the particular reason it was given the name it has but you can make pretty good assumptions if you're diving in head-first. The track literally splinters into any possible direction with elements of glitch, contemporary electro and ambient. A little piece of advice: Fasten your seat belts. 'dailyeclipse' follows right up from there. For just a brief moments it suggests the illusion of actually listening to something remotely resembling straight until it all starts to fall apart when rumbling bass waves turn every structure to ashes and the chaos is gaining control as the track progresses all wrapped up in ominous moods. 'kirners house' is going easy on you throwing just minimal beats in your face intended to giving your brain a little piece of piece.

In fact, with all the complexity that follows, this is still rather accessible by FAMINE standards. Cut-up collages of beats say hi on the next one 'hiawatha', while, all the time, a subtle amount of ambience adds a sense of weightlessness to everything before you being pushed over the completely. 'mcromgmt' might be what comes out if a broken cd-player plays a techno record and is recorded while doing it and later another beat layer is added to it. I can't really give to you any closer. This is me not finding any better comparison right now. To the frantic percussion bits and clicks of 'white orchid' we begin to drift off into technoid realms. If mainstream material would be anything like that, the genre wouldn't be trapped in stagnation for as long as it does. 'straight up intercourse' delivers angular structures on a massive scale with kicks that hit so hard it hurts.

Its little brother 'medicine' stutters away constantly and slowly creeps into the abyss on layers of glacial atmospheres. 'salbutimol' dwells on lighter moods and other than that delivers famine's very own brand of kind-of danceable-yet-too-complex-for-the-average-listener electro. The closing chapter 'filmstrip' is an evocative piece of amorphous sonic imagery that never decides what it wants to be, it never takes an actual form and thus becomes what you want it to be. Keep that in mind when you get to listen to the album for yourself.

Tracklist

01. tabletcrasher - 3:54
02. dailyeclipse - 3:57
03. kirners house - 4:28
04. hiawatha - 4:52
05. mcromgmt - 4:16
06. white orchid - 4:26
07. straight up intercourse - 3:23
08. medicine - 3:08
09. salbutimol - 4:24
10. filmstrip - 4:34

Line-up