Translate

lostarea dsb
Artist: Lost Area
Title: Destroying Something Beautiful
Genre: Electro Rock
Release Date: 21st September 2012
Label: Thexoomo

Album Review

LOST AREA have taken their time to shape their next long player just after their imagination. Frankly, I think that the paradigm shift the are actually taking with 'Destroying Something Beautiful' is nothing short of unpredictable. The opening of the new album 'Nobody' makes that crystal clear. IN the beginning there's nothing but organ and speech samples, but when the drums actually kick in you notice the sudden change in direction to a rocking momentum. The vocals of vDiva are a perfect fit for the musical backdrop. In fact, i do think they wouldn't do in a merely electronic environment at all. The following 'Sin is still shining' takes no prisoners and blast right out of the speakers from second one before moving towards melancholic realms o suddenly speed-up to a blistering chorus. 'Black Storm' works from a hypnotic and recurring riff circling around crunchy drums while 'You are alive' is driving towards the sonic barrier and is closer to a classic rock song. If it weren't for the artificial sounding drums on this one, it could sound way more organic.

With 'I'm here' comes the first proper ballad of the album introduces by surges of classical strings soon to be accompanied by wistful piano lines and vocals, and is never getting more than that and it's enough to make a good song. 'Yesterdays' turns out to be a very powerful, brooding compositions. It's rather drawing of the palpable possibility of exploding into something else than actual speed. 'A place called' home' starts in a literal classic way and later on is evolving into a solid electro rock song. 'Mask' on the other hand does things the electronic way. If there are acoustic drums involved they're buried under layers of electronic effects. 'The way we used to be' brings you the second and last ballad of the album. It is even more reduced than the last one, employing mostly piano and vocals. It is just here that the vocalists qualities can unfold in my opinion. 'I don't love you' is closing the album with an industrial rock-ish experiment, the guitars being more harsh than before.

All in all, I gotta say that the new direction is not the misdirection I thought it might be. The production is done very well though the quality of the drum recordings still lack some clarity. If you are into electronic rock you should definitely look for this one. AA good start into a new era.

Tracklist

01. Nobody
02. Sun is still shining
03. Black Storm
04. You are alive
05. Leave me alone
06. I'm here
07. Yesterdays
08. A place called home
09. Mask
10. Breakdown
11. Crashing Down