Translate

kalt dersturm
Artist: Kalt
Title: Der Sturm
Genre: Electro/Gothic Rock
Release Date: 20th April 2012
Label: Echozone

Album Review

Mike York may be known to many for his part in GARDEN OF DELIGHT, now he pours his creative vision into KALT, his own solo project. Few years back I reviewed the first full-length of KALT entitled ‘Dein Gott’ and you can say reviewing ‘Der Sturm’ is somewhat overdue since it’s been out since spring last year. The immediate difference between the two is that it’s more dynamic and whereas previous album sounded more reflective and introspective ‘Der Sturm’ is more gregarious and tuned up for more rocking out vibe. Having outlined the album as more outgoing is not to say it’s not filled with a good deal of melancholy though – still aplenty in delicious amounts. The sound draws on influences from SISTERS OF MERCY and MISSION more than FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM (though that is not to say it’s not there still) that were heard in ‘Dein Gott’, and there is also something quintessentially own to German Rock traditions here (not only because this time all lyrics are in German) – think of UNHEILIG.

This marriage of Goth with Neue Deutsche Härte works especially well in the album titled song, which comes after a very short intro (for which I didn’t really see much reason). Whereas UNHEILIG veers more towards sentimentality at times York infuses the song with the turmoil and angst own to Goth pathos with the background of FIELDS OF NEPHILIM-like riffs mixed with the Neue Deutsche Härte and all this makes up for a great introduction to this album and an outstanding song in its own right. To contrast this song and another “hit” song ‘Die Kaelte’ there are songs such as ‘Im Auge des Sturms’ and ‘Allein’ (where York is joined by female vocals also), to name just finest examples, where more reflective nature enters. I cannot say that ‘Der Sturm’ enthused me as much as ‘Dein Gott’ did, maybe because the previous album suited my own temperament more. But that’s really not the only reason... it’s also that some of the songs felt as if they had less energy behind them and the vision didn’t presented itself as strongly. Nevertheless it’s still an excellent album.

Tracklist

01. Intro
02. Der Sturm
03. Was du hast
04. Geht es dir auch so
05. Mach die Augen auf
06. Im Auge des Sturms
07. Die Kaelte
08. Aalglatt
09. Zur letzten Reise
10. Allein
11. Outro

Line-up

Mike York

Websites

www.die-kaelte.de / http://facebook.com/Kalt.MikeYork / https://www.facebook.com/pages/KALT/187452607933845

Cover Picture

kalt dersturm

Rating

Music: 8.5
Sound: 9
Total: 8.75 / 10

Comments powered by CComment