Translate

notcalledjinx_phoenixarising
Artist:  Not Called Jinx
Title: Phoenix Arising
Genre: Alternative / Rock
Release Date: 29th April 2011
Label: Monster Artist

Album Review

NOT CALLED JINX was formed in 2006; the band is based in Berlin, Germany. The band’s first EP ‘Who Needs Winners Anyway?’ was released in September 2007 and their debut album ‘Phoenix Arising’ will be released the 29th April 2011. Reviewing this album was not easy; I find that it sounds too mainstream for my taste and I had some serious problems with getting used to the singers voice. I would have loved to hear songs more like the last (title) song ‘Phoenix Arising’; that song pretty much saves the album. If this band would develop in that direction the future could be very promising…

‘Aim and Fire’ is a catchy and cool song that brings very good lyrics. The chorus easily get stuck on your mind and well after getting some used to the vocals I can take this song. But rougher sounding vocals would have done miracles to it! ‘Don’t Say a Word’ is a beautiful and slow song where I actually really enjoy listening to Kilian’s voice together with the simple and good music. Interesting to hear a female voice joining in and it really works very well together with the male one. I like the lyrics and the fact that this song sounds/feels sincere and deep. ‘Phoenix Arising’ is different from the other songs, cool vocals and sound but what really lifts this song is the melody and change of vocals in the chorus. I really enjoy the instrumental parts and can’t help thinking that if only the rest of the album had been more like this!

Tracklist

01. New Beginnings
02. Aim and Fire
03. Dance with Me
04. ICURAQT
05. I Believe
06. Don’t Say a Word
07. Mayday
08. Gravity
09. The Deal
10. Phoenix Arising

Line-up