RoD header

Translate

pogues thepoguesinparis
Artist: The Pogues
Title: The Pogues in Paris (30th Anniversary Concert at the Olympia)
Genre: Folk-Punk
Release Date: 16th November 2012
Label: Universal Music

DVD Review

Who takes a closer look at THE POGUES will find a long and patchy history including ups and downs but also a continuous and unbroken success of the band and its music. It’s a phenomenon and an enigma for one or two. But it is fact that the Irish Folk-Punk band has true fans until today and their concerts are always well-attended. This is the more remarkable since THE POGUES did not release an official album for 17 years and no album in original line-up for 21 years now. Singer Shane MacGowan founded the band THE NEW REPUBLICANS in 1981 together with Jam Finer (banjo) and Peter Stacy (tin whistle). One year later, James Fearnley (accordion) joined in and the band renamed to POGUE MAHONE, meaning “Kiss my ass”. After also Cait O’Riordan (bass) and Andrew Ranken (drums) joined the band, a first single, ‘Dark Streets Of London’, was released in 1984. Due to the indecent name, the band could not get a foothold in radio but increased its renownedness during gigs in pubs and as support act for THE CLASH. Due to pressure of their first record label, the band finally changed its name to THE POGUES.

After also Philip Chevron (guitar) had joined the band and when Elvis Costello became their producer, they soon celebrated their first big break-through with the album ‘Rum, Sodomy & the Lash’. The biggest commercial success, the band celebrated with ‘If I Should Fall From Grace With God’ which made it to position 3 of the British charts. After this and some more charts entries, the band toured world-wide, i.e. with U2 or Irish folk legend THE DUBLINERS. With the 1990 album ‘Hell’s Ditch’, the temporary end of the band was preluded. One year later, singer Shane collapsed during a concert in Tokio due to his year-long drug consume and was kicked out of the band. He was replaced by Joe Strummer (ex THE CLASH) who was shouted down by the fans. Also Peter Stacy could not really replace Shane. 1995, the last album ‘Pogue Mahone’ was released, not being as successful as previous albums. In 2001, Shane and band came together again and toured UK, Europe and even USA and Japan. Finally, THE POGUES could celebrate their 30th anniversary with a sold-out double concert at the Olympia theatre in Paris.

Those two concerts were released as birthday memento with the title “The Pogues in Paris”, being available in various versions on CD, DVD or BluRay. The DVD contains 24 songs from these evenings plus a bonus from previous years – the song ‘Thousands Are Sailing’ was recorded 2006 at Manchester’s MEN arena. My first impression of the DVD is great. Video and sound quality are amazing. The sound level of musicians, Shane and audience is well-balanced and together with a 5.1 sound system, a good concert impression is promised. The DVD menu is short and clearly structured. Most of the time, I also liked the video cutting and perspectives of recording. And last but not least I have to point you to the great condition of Shane during those two evenings – after my first POGUES live experience earlier this year I was appalled by the disastrous condition and missing vocal qualities. But for the band’s 30th birthday, the band put its shoulder to the wheel leaving me surprised and with open mouth. And also the audience visibly enjoyed the concert, as you could see in several sequences, dancing and celebrating. Musicians and audience are full of energy and good mood from the beginning to the end, making you sad that you could not be part of this show.

At the end, I just need to say that this live recording is a must-have for any THE POGUES fan and a good start for those who one to become one or just is interested in the band. It is a moral certainty that this release it probably the best you could get from THE POGUES in future.

Tracklist

CD1
01. Streams of Whiskey
02. If I Should Fall From Grace With God
03. The Broad Majestic Shannon
04. Greenland Whale Fisheries
05. A Pair of Brown Eyes
06. Tuesday Morning
07. Kitty
08. The Sunnyside of the Street
09. Thousands are Sailing
10. Repeal of the Licensing Laws
11. Lullaby of London
12. The Body of An American
13. Young Ned of the Hill
14. Boys From The County Hell
15. Dirty Old Town
16. Bottle of Smoke
17. The Sicked Bed of Cuchulainn

CD2
01. Sally MacLennane
02. Rainy Night in Soho
03. The Irish Rover
04. Star of the County Down
05. Poor Pady
06. Fairytale of New York
07. Fiesta

Different Versions

- 2 CD set featuring the entire concert

- DVD (region free) featuring the entire concert, plus bonus performance of Thousands are Sailing in Manchester, 2004

- Blu-Ray (region free) featuring the entire concert, plus bonus performance of Thousands are Sailing in Manchester, 2004

- Limited Edition 3-LP vinyl (180 gms) with photo sleeve and liner notes

- Limited Edition book featuring exclusive text and never before published photos, 2 CDs, DVD of the show, and a bonus DVD featuring two programs including interviews and live performances archived from French television including the cult favourite les Enfants du Rock (Children of Rock) from 1986

Line-up

Shane MacGowan - Spider Stacy - James Fearnley - Jeremy 'Jem' Finer - Andrew Ranken - Phil Chevron - Terry Woods - Darryl Hunt

Website

http://www.pogues.com/ / https://www.facebook.com/Poguetry?fref=ts&rf=106152776081709

Cover Picture

pogues thepoguesinparis

Rating

Music: 9
Sound: 9
Video: 9
Extras: various versions incl. Vinyl and Box-Set
Total: 9 / 10

German Version at TheSpine

Comments powered by CComment