Translate

transitpoetry_pedestrians
Title: Pedestrians In The Sky
Artist: Transit Poetry
Genre: Many
Release Date: 18th February 2011
Label: Danse Macabre

Album Review

In the beginning there was a concept to create a conceptual album cycle of 4 records with each one putting one of the four elements into sound. It all started with the ‘Themes From The Desolate Ocean’ and soon it’s going to end with ‘Pedestrians In The Sky’. What’ll come afterwards is still veiled inside the shadows of an unknown future. But maybe we should talk first about what’s to come in a few days’ time. With orchestral pomp, ‘Astronauts & Butterflies’ opens the album with a few slight leanings towards metal. It combines strength and fragility with a distinct pop appeal. The title ‘The Drowning Man’ had me instantly thinking of a similar sounding title of THE CURE. But neither sound now lyric-wise it is connected to that classic track. A jazzy atmosphere embraces the listener in the beginnings with corresponding piano touches before an atmospheric swansong on hope unfolds, putting the painful void inside the man’s soul into the focus of a low-key composition.

Personally, I’m not much of a spiritual type, never been to be honest. So I can’t connect to that part of mood inside of the album’s preceding single ‘Little Buddha’, really. But there’s moreto it than just that; it's a wonderful, rather balladry track with clearly melancolic tonalities and if that isn't something you'd have to love this song for. ‘A Prayer To The Planet’ goes for a world music approach which is hard for me getting used to, actually. Not that I’m against world music in general, but the African chanting in there doesn’t fit into this otherwise fantastic song for me. Now let’s head for some trip hop, shall we? Trip hop with a little flavour of Jazz, captured in ‘Space Volcanoes’ Sasha Blach’s voice seems completely detached yet completely immersed into the dense atmosphere this track radiates. Love that track!

Even though ‘Storms’ uses sonic imagery that is way beyond the ordinary and the different vocal styles and guitars perfectly complement each other, you can’t say there’s a lot of punch in there. It’s devoid of strength so to say. That might be intentional but I think the song would’ve profited from a more powerful rhythm section. ‘Rhyme Of The Fairies’ seems to float on a dimension between here and the dawn of time itself. Harsh riffs cut through solemn textures and electronic patterns whereas the textures are kind of otherworldly. For ‘Luminous Stars’ TRANSIT POETRY have enlisted the help of LEANDRA as a duet partner for Sascha on vocals. Her signature sound adds an intriguing shade of colour to a wonderful balladry tune. ‘Ad Infinitum’ (Into Infinity) it goes with the last song which leaves open the question if that Latin saying is equally valid for TRANSIT POETRY after wrapping up the elements cycle.

Time will tell I guess, but for the time being the fans will have enough to discover with what’s onto them soon with ‘Pedestrians In The Sky’, an album that scores with matured compositions skills and a good sense for melodies. The songs, however, not at any time have the force, instrumentally or atmospherically, to really stand-out. Not to hide the fact that the album is still above the average.

Tracklist

01.Astronauts & Butterflies - 4:32
02.Monsters - 4:13
03.A-Drowning-Man - 5:47
04.Little-Buddha - 4:24
05.A Prayer To The Planet - 5:44
06.Space Volcanoes - 4:44
07.Der Nachtwandler - 3:36
08.Storm - 5:08
09.Blood On The Windmills - 4:29
10.Rhyme Of The Fairies - 5:58
11.The Solitary Dancers - 3:53
12.Aeroplanes Into The Sun - 4:45
13.Luminous Stars feat. Leandra - 4:08
14.Halo Of The World - 4:19
15.Ad Infinitum - 6:24

Line-Up

Sascha - Voice, Programming, Production
Svana - Guitar
Andrei - Guitar
Stefan - Bass, Backing Vocals
Juuri - Keyboard

Website

http://www.transitpoetry.de / http://www.facebook.com/pages/Transit-Poetry/143901880283

Cover Picture

transitpoetry_pedestrians

Rating

Music: 7
Sound: 8
Extras: -
Total: 7.5 / 10

Comments powered by CComment