Translate

diodati diemsupremum
Artist: Diodati
Title: Diem Supremum
Genre: Gothic / Neoclassic / Folk
Release Date: 14th October 2011
Label: Echozone / Köperschall Records

Album Review

DIODATI is set out to stand as a cultural and musical crossover, taking classical music and connecting her to the modern trends and adding literary pieces in for a good measure, the amalgamation of their styles is generally attempted to be put under Gothic, Classical, Wave and Avant-garde labels. 2005 saw the release of their album ‘Souls Lament’. Two of the founding musicians exited and made way for two new arrivals. And then here comes ‘Diem Supremum’ (which if I am not wrong means “The Last Day”).

Soon after the intro (‘Hora suprema’) and first few songs my impression is that it feels like more classical and with more rooted European culture infused - NICK CAVE( just to find some reference, I’m not mentioning it as direct a comparison). It’s the sensibility for the dark, seeking atmosphere and the literary bent to the lyrics. Also there seems to be a concept centred around the probing the issue of Death - from the death of a mother in ‘(Der Tod einer Mutter) Lady Medusa Of Suffering’, death of hope ‘(Der Tod einer Hoffnung) Window to a better Past’, death of united beauty ‘(Der Tod einter Schönheit) Nänie’, death of a soldier ‘(Der Tod eines Soldaten) Lili Marleen’, death of the self ‘(Der Tod eines Ich) Just a Mirror’, the way life passes by fast and its intransient nature in ‘(Der Tod eines Lebens) Life is Sand’, ‘Der Tod einer Kultur’ - death of a culture to ‘Taim sinte’. This song is taken from an Irish poem originating in 17th century - “Taim sinte” itself means “I am stretched”, but with the poem it unfolds into “I am stretched on your grave” ("Táim sínte ar do thuama") and indeed the lyrics are the English translation of the poem, which has also made it into musical forms before. So let’s take that as a death of a lover. Then we have a death of faith ’(Der Tod eines Glaubens) Hinnen fuor der sun ze helle’, death itself in ‘(Der Tod) Boring Duty’, death of trust ‘(Der Tod der Zuversicht) Pack of Lies’ to contemplation of time itself in ‘Passing Time’.

To pick from the songs that stood out to me the most in a little more detail ‘(Der Tod eines Soldaten) Lili Marleen’ - one of the songs that contains both male and female vocal and has a wonderful cabaret feel and has a good dose of nostalgia fitting for a song about the death of a soldier. The song is sung in German so I can only guess that the meaning would be about leaving a sweetheart behind on his way to war he will not come back alive from - a feel that I’m getting anyway - I could be wrong of course... ‘(Der Tod eines Ich) Just a Mirror’ - very theatrical piece and probably where the vocal reminds me of NICK CAVE the most. The sometimes sad, sometimes manic and even paranoid traits fit the theme of ego superbly. ‘(Der Tod eines Glaubens) Hinnen fuor der sun ze helle’ - may be about death of faith/belief but the duet between the male and female vocals is quite wonderful again. ‘(Der Tod) Boring Duty’ -is the darkest, heaviest here, the cello and piano are just beautiful and the voice brings the aforementioned heaviness into it, the atmosphere of the song is very thick and funereal. ‘Passing Time’ feels quite Celtic and yet that is a wrong definition as it’s such a well fused blend, it’s an outro and we won’t find words there.

‘Diem Supremum’ is a very interesting album, philosophically and artistically very cohesive, dramatic and atmospheric unique fusion of musical trends that captivates the listener and I certainly hope so this album is not their last!

Tracklist

01. Hora suprema – 1.21
02. (Der Tod einer Mutter) Lady Medusa Of Suffering – 5.47
03. (Der Tod einer Hoffnung) Window to a better Past – 5.51
04. (Der Tod einter Schönheit) Nänie – 4.47
05. (Der Tod eines Soldaten) Lili Marleen – 2.58
06. (Der Tod eines Ich) Just a Mirror – 4.33
07. (Der Tod eines Lebens) Life is Sand – 8.42
08. (Der Tod einer Kultur) – 6.09
09. Taim sinte – 4.07
10. (Der Tod eines Glaubens) Hinnen fuor der sun ze helle – 4.00
11. (Der Tod) Boring Duty – 6.52