Translate

broilers_santamuerte
Artist: Broilers
Title: Santa Muerte
Genre: Punk / Rockabilly / Ska
Release Date: 10th June 2011
Label: People Like You Records

Album Review

“The younger one of me roundabout 15 years ago won’t listen to the BROILERS nowadays. I would buy the old releases oft the BROILERS and cuss like a sailor about the new ones. […] We’re not an Oi!-Band anymore. But we definitely know, where we’re coming from and we won’t forget. I believe that most oft he fans acknowledge that fact.” (Sammy Amara about the BROILERS)

Sometimes there are releases that are very difficult to review. Especially in case of a pretty good band that really deserves to be honoured for their efforts over the last years. ‘Santa Muerte’ is the 5th release of the BROILERS after their successful release ‘Vanitas’ in 2007. A continuing work during the last fifteen years finally led to success in 2010 by playing @ Rock am Ring and Wacken Open Air. Accordingly I was quite excited to listen to ‘Santa Muerte’ and I was expecting great things. But how disappointing was the impression I got while I listened to the album for the first time. Almost every song sounded to me like it was made without any passion and composed like the BROILERS were bowing to pressure of their label in order to gain higher sales figures by developing in mainstream direction. For God’s sake!!! Strike a light!!!

So I listened to the album again… and again… and again. I wasn’t able to grasp that there could be the opportunity of a lousy release made by these guys. No doubt that the lyrics were not responsible - the BROILERS are known for massively impressing words. It was the music that irritated me… the song structures at first seemed to be too predictable. The composing reminded of too many songs that I’ve listened by too many other bands. But suddenly, after listening to these songs over and over again, ‘Santa Muerte’ hit me with a big, big bang!

This release is ONE big outcry! The first spark strikes with ‘In ein paar Jahren’ and ‘Tanzt Du noch einmal mit mir?’ - everything starts with the lyrics again. They’re the clue to the whole album, in my opinion. In every song you can explore those tiny treasures of songwriting  and after a while you’ll get a glimpse of the idea behind ‘Santa Muerte’. ‘Schwarz, Grau, Weiß’ continues what ‘Tanzt Du noch einmal mit mir’ began and from it’s persisting throughout the whole album. Catchy refrains that definitely will do their part while played live combined with fresh compositions that dare to cross genres and ethnic influences. You can literally hear the power of a war cry that lies in every refrain, in every song and in the depths of the lyrics.

‘Santa Muerte’ is the last try, the last struggle right before the apocalypse of mankind. Being aware of the fact that “something’s rotten in the state of Denmark”, the BROILERS push their audience to the limit and beyond. It’s an invitation to celebrate the own down - but why the hell one shouldn’t do this with fun? The first impression of a simple Mainstream release is the only fly in the ointment. Of course, there are songs that have a structure that seems to be slight. But don’t be fooled! ‘Santa Muerte’ is a release that needs time, presumably it needs more time that you’re willing to give! But believe me, it’s not wasted - far from it! If you’re into the BROILERS, you’ll love ‘Santa Muerte’… after a while!

Tracklist

01. Preludio: Santa Muerte
02. Harter Weg (Go!)
03. In ein paar Jahren…
04. Tanzt Du noch einmal mit mir?
05. Schwarz, Grau, Weiß
06. Verdammte Stille
07. Gemeinsam
08. 33 rpm
09. Vom Scheitern (The World Is Yours, Nicht!)
10. Alles geht weiter
11. Weckt die Toten
12. Wie weit wir gehen
13. Stoßen wir an
14. Singe, Seufze & Saufe

Line-up

Sammy Amara – Vocals, Guitar
Ron Hübner – Guitar
Ines Smentkowski – Bass
Andi Brügge – Drums
Chris Kubczak – Keys

Website

http://www.broilers.de / http://www.myspace.com/broilers / http://www.facebook.com/broilers

Cover Picture

broilers_santamuerte

Rating

Music: 8
Sound: 10
Extras: -
Total: 9 / 10

Comments powered by CComment