Translate

hateinc_artofsuffering
Artist: Hate Inc.
Title: Art of Suffering
Genre: Industrial Rock
Release Date: 6th June 2011
Label: Club Inferno

Album Review

Vincent Vega (Italy) started HATE INC as his solo project in 2002, but as he worked along he realised his energy was in this, left other bands where he was drumming, and in 2007 he went on to set it as a full band and by 2008 they started playing shows. In 2009 they released ‘Fragments’ a four song EP and started working on ‘Art Of Suffering’, their debut album. Hearing their music, it sounds as a fusion of Industrial, Rock, Modern metal and Nu metal with touches of New Wave and Post-punk and some Grunge. Though classed under Industrial Rock they’re very much on the fence with Metal, swinging from one territory to the other. The album opens with a great chomping riff, the style of vocals reminds of bands as KORN but what would have been the rapping parts are yet even more muted and smoothed into singing. Where the riff opened for the first song, ‘Hypnotizer’, keyboards make way for the next ‘Breed’ and sludge into heavy low guitars that soon up the speed with the drive of the drums, which is contrasted by changing tempos into where the New Wave-ish intervals come in.

‘Dissatisfaction’ is an interesting track, catchier and New Wavy, but on the other hand probably the least liked song of the album for me. I don’t feel that the variety of styles ties up tight as it does in the other songs, except some moments here and there where all the components meet as they should. With ‘Art Of Suffering’ I will say that it shows the great way they know to open songs, a more soft, echoing strumming ushers an emotively loaded song. The singing here comes as reminiscent of KURT COBAIN, in fact the lyrics & music bring a reference to NIRVANA too as will few other songs, very grungy, and intense song with added beauty of keyboards and the softer interludes. ‘Harangue’ visits yet another sub genre of Metal laced with its classic position, some of the Death Metal undertones with some great growling vocal from Vega. ‘Learn To Love’ is a more Industrial leaning song, referring this time to RAMMSTEIN. The album closes with a softer version of ‘Fragments’, atmospheric and layered song, one of personal favourites of this album.

I have mentioned the references and styles often but not meaning so in a way to suggest that HATE INC are their carbon copies, quite the opposite. It feels that they’ve managed to take on where the others left off and point at some new directions. They seem to create from their influences a great and interesting amalgamation of their own sound together with their own original take on music. I think that their best is yet to come, but this is certainly a promising band with a satisfying debut offering diverse and strong, solid songs that they can be proud of and many would enjoy.

Tracklist

01. Hypnotizer – 3.32
02. Breed – 3.37
03. Dissatisfaction – 3.55
04. Fragments – 4.53
05. Art Of Suffering – 4.50
06. Harangue – 3.14
07. Microchips/Realisanity – 4.09
08. Made In Chains – 2.10
09. Without Your Skin – 4.07
10. Learn To Love (yourself) – 3.52
11. Tear – 7.23