RoD header

Translate

Title: Apokalipstik
Artist: Lycosia
Genre: Goth Rock
Release Date: 3rd November 2006
Label: Araknid Records

Album Review

The first two albums of the French formation LYCOSIA ‘No Love Lost’ and ‘Unisex’ were only released in France but established itself as a constant in the scene of darker rock music. The third album became a hit both in France and on international territory and here we have their newest album ‘Apokalipstik’

The description of the sound by the label is as follows “…A modern musical crossover between true glitter and sexy electronic-post-industrial-dark sound, with a nasty Goth & Roll touch... a Glam-Goth-Deluxe Apocalypse”. This already sounds very confusing and if you’ve finished your first run with the CD, the problem gets obvious: The proverbial golden thread just doesn’t exist on the album at all. The songs jump from one style to another like a pinball. The first track is very moderate yet with some distorted guitar stuff and mid-tempo drums that are sounding a bit brassy and more like programmed ones. The next one is truly something for the hard ones. With the probably worst drum sounds I’ve ever heard, the song rushes forward to come up with wave guitars reminding of THE CURE. ‘Follow me’ will surely please the ears of HIM fans all around the world because it goes back to a slower pace, more gentle guitars and clean vocals and I that voice is not as bad as it appeared in the first place with all that processing applied on it. ‘Light Years’ is another rather catchy tune. Faster drums and more rocking riffs paired with a slight influence of New Wave.

Despite some good tracks, the album can’t convince me at all. The clashing with the styles is fatal for an album in my opinion. The listeners won’t be able to recognize a style in that mixture and to be honest the recording quality isn’t what I’m expecting from a band releasing their already fourth album.

Tracklist

01. Last Splash – 5:31
02. All these Worlds – 3:16
03. Follow me – 4:24
04. Hard dressed Bitch – 3:24
05. Left Over – 3:21
06. Kiss me Hard – 3:21
07. Say fuck yeah! – 3:51
08. Light Years – 4:30
09. Ymhae Apaka – 5:18
10. Don’t say a Word (Make up Mix) – 5:03

Line-up