Translate

limpbizkit_goldcobra
Artist: Limp Bizkit
Title: Gold Cobra
Genre: Rapcore / Rap metal / Nu Metal
Release Date: 24th June 2011
Label: Interscope (Universal)

Album Review

Upon hearing the Mayan prophesies for the end of the world in 2012, LIMP BIZKIT managed to reunite and release this album offering us the utter justification of the much needed “why”. Hailing from the rich ghettos, infected by recession, where they probably live by now, they rap manically. And by that I mean that their vocabulary has been reduced to point zero, reflecting on the educational crisis that has been ruling some parts of the U.S. I know teenagers who are more articulated than them by far. “Everybody jumps to the sound of a shotgun, in my neighbourhood everybody got one” and this is the problem; they should pick a place where their neighbours actually have a serious library instead of the manuals for their shotguns, which as it seems they agonise to read. This is not their only concern; in another song they keep assuring us that they gonna fuck up a douche bag or they suggest to “get a life” to their enemies. After the first seven tracks I was thinking that they should replace the “Parental advisory; explicit content” with “Parental advisory; illiterate content”. And to give you the difference between these two; ‘Copkiller’ by BODYCOUNT has explicit content.

After climbing to the highest peaks of Olympus with their sheer exhibition of how to use the English language - an exhibition that needless to say might put Chaucer and Shakespeare to shame - LIMP BIZKIT has decided to step down from those heights and delve into the more mundane tasks. From ‘Walking Away’ and on they chose to actually sing something. And truth be told, ‘Walking Away’ is the best song of the album by far, slow in its tempo with clear and melancholic vocals and emotively more complex. The next one, ‘Loser’, is pathetic in all its aspects; it has melodramatic lyrics, boring music and an out-of-tune ending. Kinda sympathetic is ‘Autotunage’, not something special but likeable for sure. And then again they go into their version of rap, the one I’ve described earlier on with ‘90.2.10’.

In ‘My Own Cobain’ I stopped paying attention to the lyrics and was enjoying the feeling of Durst’s efforts to imitate Cobain’s voice. Priceless! It is amazing that LIMP BIZKIT mentions as its influences the PUBLIC ENEMY, RUN-DMC, RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE, FAITH NO MORE and NIRVANA among many others. Were these bands asked if they want to be listed as their influence? The problem with LIMP BIZKIT is that their music is considerably more interesting than their lyrics. Durst’s voice sounds like Nagg’s voice-inside-the-dustbin in Becket’s ‘Endgame’. As it goes, the cover of their CD is prophetic; the band has found their true fans. Three stoned girls, a monkey, a lemur, some trees and plants. Yes, there is also a cobra but since when an illustration of a snake can spill venom? As far it concerns their last song ‘Middle Finger’, I’ve found their idea very useful; I’ve actually typed this review by using both of them.

Tracklist

01. Introbra - 1:20
02. Bring It Back - 2:17
03. Gold Cobra - 3:53
04. Shark Attack - 3:26
05. Get A Life - 4:54
06. Shotgun - 4:33
07. Douche Bag - 3:42
08. Walking Away - 4:45
09. Loser - 4:53
10. Autotunage - 5:00
11. 90.2.10 - 4:18