RoD header

Translate

Title: Human
Artist: Impurfekt
Genre: Electronic
Release Date: 2009
Label: Shinto Records

Album Review

Who knew that Aaron Russell aka IMPURFEKT would be back so soon with a new album that, this time around, carries the title ‘Human’ and as I was infected with the IMPUURFEKT virus with his last output ‘Purgatory’, I was excited to hear the results of his recent efforts…

It all starts with a slow “heart” beat; the ‘Human’ engine starts running and slowly thick layers of pads and strings fade in creating an epic surface of sublime darkness. It is torn apart all of a sudden by Russell’s distorted voice screaming “Are you Human?” and the arrival of maiming industrial club beats. The remaining pieces of the epic surface regroup and emerge in an even darker re-incarnation before the track ultimately ends with a majestic crescendo of piano, strings and a few beats. It is one sentence at the track’s end striking my attention “I am Fragile!” as it references directly to the next track, whose name is ‘Fragile’. It is opened with a mournful piano motif ultimately melting with a grey sky of autumnal moods building a monument of sound that outstretches to the end of the horizon with only a sequence of crunchy patterns keeping it company. These are getting a heavier edge when Aaron’s painful vocals appear to blend with the re-emerging soundscapes eventually.

‘Bloody Whore’ utilizes a similar theme, however with a breeze of dark longing in it and the addition of Karra Russel’s vocals blending so seamlessly with the densely layered synths it has you thinking they’re one. These are passages continuously alternating with Aaron’s vocal sections having a distinctively darker touch to them and getting occasional support of a sampled vintage string section. ‘Spill your Blood’ is going to satisfy the needs of all the DJs out there with a club-ish drum pattern that’ll cater for full dance floors in the dim Goth clubs around the globe and at the same time puts forth enough of IMPURFEKT’s eclectic atmospheres to not make it a mere concession to the 4/4 club culture. Next, a plaintive piano melody marks the beginning of ‘Suicide Lover’ and is like a farewell bid to the world. For me, it feels like these few minutes embody the last minutes on Earth for the main character that’s of broken soul and mind with nothing left for him here.

Before I’m giving you the summary to ‘Human’, I’d like to add a few words on the record’s artwork that on the front cover depicts a crouched naked man and to his right the huge band loge and the album title and just as you look at this title you’ll realize it’s the perfect image. That’s what being human means essentially. On the musical side, I have not much really to complain about. The atmospheric density is beyond comparison and I couldn’t say that a lot of electronic acts place such an emphasis on that. In the case of IMPURFEKT, however it’s not mere embellishment rather an essential means to convey the mood of the song and to a certain extent even carries its meaning. The drum work has undergone essential improvement and now sounds much more diversified and accomplished  than on ‘Purgatory’ Now, the only thing left to do for me is recommend this one to everyone who appreciates a strong atmosphere and mood over a club-compatible rhythm. You will find those at certain points on ‘Human’ as well. But they don’t make the majority!

Tracklist

01. Human - 5:52
02. Fragile - 5:23
03. Godmobile - 3:36
04. Bloody Whore - 4:42
05. Frail - 3:33
06. Spill Your Blood - 3:08
07. Fracture - 4:34
08. And The Beast - 6:22
09. Suicide Lover - 6:21
10. My Friend at a Funeral - 2:43
11. Beautiful Memory - 3:26